05 January, 2007

My First New Year's Eve...

For the first time in my life I've celebrated new year's eve and it was everything I hoped it to be. It was on of the best days of my life.

I was in Cairo during the eid to visit my cousins, a visit that ended in me regretting that I don't have a sister! We arrived at 11:00 pm the night before, left our stuff at my uncle's and started a marvelous 30-hours activity-filled day of fun that ended with Mohammad Mounir's concert at the opera house where I spent a lot of energy jumping and screaming and singing. The party along was one of the best things I've ever went to in my whole life and I was only disappointed that Mounir didn't sing longer. I wasn't a big fan of mounir until I heard his album "3an2ood el 3enab" and I was instantaneously hooked up to his style and at the concert I discovered that the dude has A LOT of great songs that I haven't heard yet. One of the best was a song called "7addoota Masreya", the whole concert had a "national" theme and almost all the songs were about Egypt. It was great.

I've seen a lot of people that day that I haven't seen for more than 7 years including some of my own cousins!

Anyways, I know that some people are frustrated because I didn't write a lot since I came here and I'm sorry guys, especially Jawad, but nothing much happened regarding my army thing. I've discovered a couple of days ago that nothing is going to happen before the 15th of this month so I'm technically on vacation for two more weeks but I'm starting to get a glimpse of what is going to happen on that day. The funniest thing is how the medical examination goes in the "largest room on earth" according to my cousin who's been there. The whole room is empty except from a bench that spans it 1.5 m from its wall and it has two small door at each end one that you come from and the other one to exit. Everybody should be standing almost naked on the wall waiting for the doctor to pass by them if you have a medical problem you're told to wait on the bench for another doctor to examine you. After everybody is examined you're told to leave through the other door for the eye examination, and yeah, you're expected to be completely dressed by the time you reach that door. This's one version of the story, the other version is that you're still half-naked and after the eye-exam thing -which is not an exam at all but a simple question of if you suffer from a problem or not- you're told to wear a jacket that 5000 people wore before you to take your picture and then after that you could slip into your clothes again.

I'll keep you updated with what exactly is going to happen!